Saturday, January 2, 2010

Working in a Wine Bar


Armed with a pair of dish gloves, each wine glass gets hand washed with fragrance free detergent, polished with a lint-free cloth and examined.

I work at West Street Wine Bar.  My prior career was as a graphic designer, I would have never started working as a wine server had it not been for Rick Martinez, the proprietor of WSWB.  Since February 2009, I've had the fortune of tasting over 600 wines and learned a great deal about the world of wine.  But as any seasoned wine professional will tell you: "The more you know, the more you know you don't know."   I've just enrolled into the Court of Masters Sommelier course, to continue to advance my knowledge and interest.

My traditional style career in the office was slowly rounding down my enthusiasm and sucking my social energy.  I would spend all day fantasizing about what to eat and drink for dinner, not acknowledging my passion (or respect) for the food/service industry.    


No comments:

Post a Comment